Friday, June 18, 2010

Trip to China (Day Six – 11/06/2010)-Beijing

I was really excited that morning, knowing that I would be seeing the Great Wall of China in hours’ time! Woo!!

First stop: Jade Factory

We first headed to a jade factory. There were some displays of ancient tools made from jade which were used by the late emperors in their palaces and during wars.

IMG_8202

Here were two workers polishing the jade products.

IMG_8203

This guy whose name I forgot, could speak really fluent English. He was giving some briefing about the history of jade and also promoting the jade jewelleries and displays that he is selling.

IMG_8205

He also taught us how to differentiate a fake jade from a genuine one. I tried it but still, I don’t see any difference. =.= Born to be conned by people selling fake jade in the future.

IMG_8209

It seemed like crowd is seen every where I went..

After everyone finished “shopping” in the jade factory, we headed straight to The Great Wall of China!!!! WOO WOOO!!!!

Second Stop: The Great Wall Of China!!!!!

IMG_8213

Louis, buying us the tickets.

IMG_8215

Louis promoting the wooden certificate stating that you had climbed the Great Wall of China. Guess how much it is? 260 Yuan which is equal to around RM130? They are really good in emptying the tourists’ pockets.

 

IMG_8219

It was really misty that day, due to rain that morning. I was kinda disappointed. I was expecting clear blue sky, green mountains with grey Great Wall on them. What a perfect picture. But that morning.. It was moody grey grey grey view…

Anyway, I was still very determined to climb to the very top!

IMG_8222 

Me, getting ready to climb!!

IMG_8229

The steps were steep. I lost count of how steps were there.

Dad and Mom didn’t follow me. They went back down after the first pit stop. I continued my way up and joined Meng Hao, Joel and Daniel later.

IMG_8235

Trying to catch my breath after 5 minutes of walking up the stairs. =.=

IMG_8238

Mr. Xavier and Meng Hao on the way up.

IMG_8239

It was tiring!!!

IMG_8242

I wonder if she was trying to prove something to her friends. Wearing a pair of heels while climbing the Great Wall? What’s going through her mind??

IMG_8256

I bet she was thinking, “My legs are killing me! Can I just jump down from here?”

IMG_8250

Looks like a tower where a princess will be locked inside, waiting for her prince to come and rescue her. Keke…

IMG_8248

Meng Hao, posing with the super steep steps of tower.

IMG_8251

Spotted this warning sign on the way up.

IMG_8252

Left my name on the wall. My very first vandalism of my 22 years of life! Woo Woo!! Please forgive me.. :P

IMG_8263

Uncle Goh. The fittest uncle whom I came across. He is 56 years old and he was the first one who reached the top of the wall. He met us half way while he was coming down whereas we were still trying our best to walk to the top. He then walked up to the top AGAIN from where he met us. And he reached there first AGAIN. Salute!

IMG_8270

Meng Hao, Uncle Goh, Joel and I at the top of the Great Wall.

Some scenic shots from the top of the Great Wall.

IMG_8254

IMG_8258

IMG_8272

Nothing much to see though. Misty misty ~

IMG_8274

Meng Hao and I. Going back down.

It was really not as easy as expected when you descend from the Great Wall. My legs were shaking all the way. Haha. I don’t understand how the other 3 guys could walk so fast ahead of me. =.=

Had lunch at a busy restaurant after that.

IMG_8284

Packed!

IMG_8290

Stacked dishes. So much food to eat! Woo Hoo!!

IMG_8294

Beijing Wo Tip. Yum Yum~~

Next Stop: Summer Palace

Summer Palace, a place where the late emperors stayed during their vacation. They did know how to enjoy life!

IMG_8308

Dad and his new buddy, Uncle Goh, heading to the Summer Palace. =)

IMG_8468

The ticket~

IMG_8312

The entrance~

IMG_8316

It all looked the same to me. From what I saw in the Forbidden City to Summer Palace? Not much of a difference.

IMG_8326

It was nice though. Really relaxing.

IMG_8329

You don’t get to see this all the time. =.= Nephew and Uncle posing in an unusual way for the camera.

IMG_8341

Nice entrance heading to the longest corridor in the WORLD.

IMG_8343 

Again, there were tonnes of human!!

IMG_8373

It is really long. And there are different drawings on each pillar. It was said that there is not a single drawing was repeated. I didn’t really check that out though. :P

I love the roof top of the corridor.

IMG_8369

The design was so complicated!

IMG_8370

The ceiling. What an art work!

We spotted this guy on the way back:

IMG_8377

He was writing giant Chinese calligraphy on the path with a giant calligraphy pen. Amazing. 

IMG_8379

He randomly gave Dad a piece of his calligraphy work. Dad was so happy. haha..

Next Stop: Pearl Factory

We were shown how pearls are harvested.

IMG_8387

This is a 3-year-old oyster. Oysters used for commercial pearl production need to be at least of 7 years of age.

IMG_8389

Mini pearls for souvenirs~

They were trying to sell the pearl powder as well.

IMG_8390

As usual, none of us bought it. Too expensive and it was super stuffy in there as they didn’t switch any air conditioners. =.=

Next stop: Olympic Stadium =)

Never imagined that I would have the chance to be there!

IMG_8412

Why must dad look so serious in every photo?

IMG_8399

I couldn’t contain my excitement anymore! I need to jump!

IMG_8402

Dad and mom posing with the 7 star hotel which was constructed in such a way to resemble a dragon.

The suite costs 1,000,000 Yuan per night. Till present, only Bill Gates had stayed before. =.=

We then headed to a fancy Muslim restaurant for dinner.

IMG_8424

The entrance.

IMG_8425 

IMG_8428 

Bright bright bright.

IMG_8430

Upstairs.

IMG_8429

The tables.

The food was okay. Not really nice though.

But the fruits that they served, was the only fruit that had been decorated in the whole China trip.

IMG_8432

I appreciated it. :P

Next Stop: Wang Fu Jing Street

The last stop of the night and the trip. Wang Fu Jing Street can be considered as the time square of China. There were a lot of shopping malls over there.

IMG_8438

A boutique named after my lovely Hainan friend’s secret name, Jessica. :P

There were also a row of stalls selling a selection of exotic street food ranging from fried insects, star fish and local cuisines.

IMG_8443

I’ve tried some of them. And they tasted so so damn good =)

IMG_8444

The famous Tang Hu Lu. =)

IMG_8446

Garlic Oysters.

IMG_8449

The Insects~

IMG_8448

Sheep penis were also for sale. It was expensive, RM15 per stick. The shop vender kept promoting by saying:

“Sir, do you like penis?”

“Penis good, you know?”

Sweat.

We chose another cheaper option, long horn beetle. =)

IMG_8450

Woo! My long horn beetle!

IMG_8453

Dad was the first one who tasted it. It was GREAT. Crispy and salty. Hmmmmmphh~

I should have tried the silk worm and scorpions too. Daniel said that they tasted good too. Next time perhaps. ;)

There goes our last night in Beijing.

I was kinda reluctant to accept that it was the last day. Going back to Malaysia the next day and back to my daily routine? Arg…

No comments: